Vehicle Registration of a motorcycle in NSW, Australia

As per the Australian government, all kinds of vehicles including motorcycles, caravans and trailers, driven or towed on the Australian roads must be registered, and NSW (New South Wales region) is not an exception. Here is all you need to know when it comes to registration of a motorcycle in NSW, Australia.

Who can register a Motorcycle?

If you are a person or an incorporated organisation, you can register the vehicle in your name. You will be known as the register operator as you own the Certificate of Registration. However, it is not necessary for the registered operator to be the owner of the vehicle. A point to remember here is that you can only register a light vehicle (less than 4.5 tonnes Gross Vehicle Mass) in your name if you are at least 16 years of age. The limit goes up to 18 years old for registering a heavy vehicle.

Brand New Motorcycle

For the first time registration, you will have to go to a registry or service centre in person and provide acceptable proof of identity for listing your details with Roads and Maritime. Once done you will be provided with a Certificate of Registration and number plate by the motor dealer at the time of brand new purchase.


The first step after buying a new vehicle is to buy a green slip (Compulsory Third Party (CTP) insurance) for the vehicle. For NSW region, the Insurance issuer must be registered for NSW. A minimum cover of 12 months is required for all light vehicles.

Pre-Owned or Second Hand vehicles

If you are planning to buy a vehicle which already has a NSW registration, you may choose to transfer the registration in your name. However, you should not drive a vehicle without a CTP cover under any circumstance.

Interstate Vehicles

If you are on a temporary business or leisure visit to NSW, you do not need to get NSW registration. As long as your motorcycle is registered in another Australian state or territory and displays all the number plates and registration labels required by the interstate authority, you will not have any problem.

Imported Vehicles

If you want to import a vehicle and register it in NSW, you have to follow some strict guidelines. The related details can be found on the government website related to the same.
Identity Checks and Inspections

Roads and Maritime Vehicle Identification Inspection Unit (VIIU) checks all the vehicles including motorcycles presented for registration. You will have to pay a nominal fee for the same.

How do you remember your rego?

Download the free app Regomate at

No Comments

Post A Comment